By Kristie Tamsevicius
Photos, photos, photos. As an author, speaker, or expert, you
need publicity photos for your marketing. In edition to your
standard head shot, you’ll need photos for your press kits,
speaker kits, product packaging, book covers, and your
“EEEK: I don’t know what to DO during the shoot!”
Relax! The photographer will work with you to suggest poses,
help you to relax, and take great photos. You’ll want to get
some shots of you with a toothy grin and others with a more
relaxed expression. In addition to the standard stuff, try
doing something fun, exciting or unexpected.
Above all have fun…you are in the spotlight!
Beyond the standard head and shoulders shot, you might also
want to get you doing a three-quarter body shot, holding a
sign, sitting down, lying down, pointing to something.Next,
you’ll definitely want to get an in-action-doing-your-job type
of pose. This could be of you speaking, typing on computer,
talking on phone etc. Also think about getting a
doing-your-personal-thing-kind of pose. This could be one of
you with family, pets, boxing, motorcycle, doing your hobby,
well, you get the idea…
In addition to doing some head shots against a soft
you’ll also want some poses done on a white background. You
use these images to become an interactive part of your website
graphics. That way you can be "pushing" a title across the
screen or leaning on top of your ezine subscriber box. It's a
fun way to literally ZAP yourself right into your webpage.
So how do you get great photos – the kind that make people
smile when they see it? Here are some tips to keep in mind to
help you capture that perfect shot!
DO’s of Fabulous Publicity Photos
1. Find examples of photos or poses that you like and bring
them on the shoot. By showing them to the photographer, they
can get an idea of what you hand in mind.
2. Try to capture your own personal unique look, one that will
make you stand out.
3. Get smiling shots of you with lots of energy and
4. Smile. It doesn’t have to be cheesy – it just has to be
5. Do your hair and makeup. You can even hire a makeup artist.
Then bring along your makeup so you can do touch ups if
6. Bring a variety of outfits with you to the shoot. Take some
formal outfits as well as some more casual ones.
7. Pack a snack so you keep your energy level up.
8. If you are a music lover - bring a tape of your favorite
songs to play during the shoot. The right music can set the
mood and help you cut loose so you take a better shot.
9. Be on time. Have directions and map. Bring the phone number
of the studio in case you get lost. You don’t want to be late,
look stressed, and have to hurry getting changed.
10. And finally have fun – your photos will show it!
DONT’s of Fabulous Publicity Photos
1. Don't party and work late the night before. You’ll have
saggy baggy eyes. Get plenty of sleep the night before so you
look and feel great.
2. Don't stuff your clothes into a bag and expect them to look
great. Iron your outfits and hang them up the night before so
they are ready to go the next day.
3. Don't wear stripes, prints, polka dots, checkerboards, or a
4. Don't put on bold distracting jewelry. Keep jewelry small
That’s a wrap! Now you are on your way to becoming a
With fresh photos in hand, your next speaking gig or big
television interview is well within your grasp. Hey Oprah –
watch out for my media kit in the mail okay?
About The Author: Article by Kristie Tamsevicius - Kristie
Tamsevicius turns entrepreneurs into the lavishly paid
in-demand experts in their field. Learn how to attract
customers, build income, & gain visibility while successfully
promoting your business online with our FREE report "Web
Branding Secrets" by visiting