By James Masterson
Public speaking is an art of delivering a speech in front of
audience. Speaking in front of a group takes a lot of courage
and preparation. You need skills to be a good public speaker.
Below are 10 characteristics of a good public speaker.
1. Knowledge. It is important that you know what you are
talking about. Read, read and read. Being a wide-reader is a
great help because you have a better idea of the topic you
2. Preparation. Nothing can replace good planning and
preparation. Analyze what you need for your speech, like
aids. Review your speech. The more prepared you are in your
speech, the more likely you will succeed in delivering it.
3. Message. Your message should suit your audience. Evaluate
your message. Ask yourself these questions:
- Does it teach something new to your audience that they did
not know before?
- Does it entertain your audience?
- Does it persuade your audience to practice what you have
- Does your speech share knowledge that can help people?
4. Language. Learn to use the appropriate words to suit your
audience and occasion. Avoid using jargons. Use simple and
understandable terms. Refrain from using uhmís and ahís. Using
these words convey lack of confidence and knowledge of your
subject. Instead, pause whenever you need to recall what you
need to say.
5. Self-confidence. By no means should you let your audience
doubt your ability. You can show your confidence by looking
well prepared and delivering your speech well.
6. Enthusiasm. A good speaker can reach out to his audience
exhibit enthusiasm in his work no matter how he feels. He
vitality in his topics, his choice of words and his gestures.
7. Listening skills. You also need to be a good listener in
order to be an effective speaker. There are three type of
listening according to their purpose:
- Emphatic listening - you provide emotional support to the
person who is talking.
- Comprehensive listening - you gather information to form an
accurate conclusion or idea. You focus on details and facts.
- Critical listening - this type of listening is most useful
8. Sense of self. This pertains to how you perceive yourself.
It is communicated to your audience as confidence,
self-assurance and power.
9. Integrity. Your sense of self forms your integrity. People
listen to you if you have respect and confidence in conveying
10. Sincerity. A good speaker believes in what he is saying.
The ability to speak in public pays well in every part of your
life, whether you are in a small group sharing opinions or
delivering a speech in front of an organization.
About The Author: James Masterson is Stand out, Be Recognized
and Be Remembered keynote speaker. Click Here To read his
latest advice free-online-course.com/masterson