By Michael Holland
Not all home decorating ideas require a heavy investment of
time and money. If you're looking for a few affordable home
interior decorating ideas to freshen up a room over a weekend,
try these ten:
1. Rearrange The Furniture- Pull your furniture away from the
walls. Try positioning it at intriguing angles. For example, a
sofa arranged diagonally across a narrow living room will make
the room look wider.
2. Paint A Wall- Paint one wall your favorite color and make
the focal point. Hang interesting art on that wall and move a
nice piece of furniture there. (Note: Make sure that the color
is one that is shared with several other objects and fabrics
3. Bring In Plants- Greenery always adds a breath of fresh air
to a room. If you don't have a green thumb, try silk plants
trees. The quality has gotten so good that its hard to
distinguish them from the real thing.
4. Lay An Area Rug- An area rug is a wonderful way of defining
a conversation area. Try one that complements the room. Lay it
at an angle beneath your coffee table.
5. Hang Pictures or Mirror- Hang pictures that reflect your
personality. Try frames that are more ornate. When hanging a
mirror, try and position it so that it reflects and nice view
or an interesting architectural element.
6. Group Figurines- Pull out your favorite collectibles. Show
off your personality. Find a display area and group related
objects together, in sets of three or five. Try and vary the
7. Add Decorative Pillows- The good news about decorative
pillows is that they are an easy way to add textures and
patterns to a room. Still better, they can be changed to jazz
up a sofa or chair before your room is ready for a major
8. Replace Lamps- Lamps are probably the one thing in your
that will give others a clue that your room is outdated. Seek
out new and fresh lamps that make a statement.
9. Add A Throw Or Afghan- Similar to decorative pillows,
and afghans add texture to your furniture. They come in all
kinds of natural and man made fabrics. Find a pattern and
that you like.
10. Eliminate Clutter- Clutter has a way of eliminating the
desired mood and effect of any room. Find storage spaces for
papers, toys, and other items that take from the personality
About The Author: Michael Holland is the creator of the Web
site www.home-decorating-made-easy.com. His site offer
lots of FREE home decorating tips and ideas.